Monday 2 May 2011

Side Dish - 2nd May

Side Dish from ABC, Brothers & Sisters.
Featuring...

Hello. This is Kevin. Scotty left this blog post unpublished on his computer so I went through and added a few small tweaks and posted it for him. I even uploaded a picture from my phone that I’m pretty sure he didn’t want everyone to see.

You’re welcome.  ;)

What I write will be in BOLD….


Being a father is, without a doubt, one of the best things to ever happen to me. Besides marrying Kevin Walker, of course. 

And being a father twice over in such a short time is nothing short of a miracle. But between the restaurant, the husband and the two children, I haven’t found the time to write as much as I’d like. Or kiss my husband as much as he’d like. But that’s another story for another day.  

If I get an inspiration for a recipe I’ll write it down immediately no matter where I am.


Recipes have been scrawled on cocktail napkins, dry cleaning receipts and once, on my hand as I tried to change a diaper. (Gross… and I hope it didn’t inspire the recipe below.)  

I had always sort of imagined this blog turning into a cookbook: “From Scotty’s Kitchen” or “Café 429 Classics.” (But you can’t leave Saul out! Let’s write a Saul cookbook!! We can call it “Saul and Oats.”)    

So many dreams have come true: I’ve met the man of my dreams (he wrote that himself! Awww! How sweet!), have two beautiful kids and a restaurant of my own. Is it too much to ask the universe to give me a book deal too?  (Yes, probably, but dream away, babe. I know you hate this picture, but I like it. We can use it for the book jacket cover.)  


Well I can always dream…  (Here comes an awkward transition. Not your best work, Scotty) And if you want to taste something dreamy, come by Café 429 and enjoy a warm and frothy mug of Mexican Hot Chocolate. It’ll make you quickly forget that instant hot cocoa.

MEXICAN HOT CHOCOLATE
Per Serving

INGREDIENTS
-          ½ disc of Mexican chocolate*
-          1 cup milk


If Mexican chocolate is unavailable, substitute 1 ½ squares (1 ½ ounces) semi-sweet baking chocolate and ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon.

Cut the chocolate into wedges along the indentations. Place them and the milk in a deep saucepan. Heat over low heat until the chocolate is softened and the milk is steaming. Whisk (or blend with an immersion blender) until the chocolate is completely dissolved and the liquid is frothy. Pour into a mug and serve immediately.

May 2, 2011 3:35 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment