Monday 11 April 2011

Side Dish - 11th Apr

Side Dish from ABC, Brothers & Sisters.
Crostini

A lot has happened since I’ve last written a blog entry so I wanted to apologize for taking the time off. I promise that at least for the next few weeks I will make it a point to carve out the time to share my recipes with you.

This week my mom came to visit and I think we both really surprised each other. Our relationship has been… well… strained, but I think that we both came to understand and appreciate each other a lot more by the end of her time here. I was proud that she got to see Café 429 and finally taste the food there… and I was also glad she isn’t a food critic. J  Let’s just say she no longer refers to the place as a “nightclub” and, to me, that’s progress.


I really tried to wow her with some of my favorite dishes on the menu, but the simplest things are sometimes the things you remember most. And when I asked her if I could show her a recipe she asked me to show her how to make the crostini. At first I was offended – that’s like asking for the recipe for a garnish!  BUT then I came to realize… we use the crostini on everything: we float them on soups, crumble them in salads, serve them with our cheese platter. So maybe asking for THAT recipe is the ultimate compliment. 

My mom and I still have a long way to go in rebuilding our relationship, but as she snapped a picture of me in the kitchen I couldn’t help but be grateful we’re working on it. You only get one set of parents.

PERFECT CROSTINI
Makes about 24 crostini

INGREDIENTS Post
-          1 small thin, firm French loaf
-          Olive Oil1 peeled garlic clove, cut in half (optional)

Set a rack in the center position and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Cut the bread crosswise into ½-inch slices. Bruch both sides of the bread lightly with olive oil, placing them on a baking sheet as you go. If you like, rub each slice with the cut side of the garlic as well. Bake 7 minutes. Turn and bake until very crisp and lightly browned on both sides, about 10 minutes. Serve warm or cool. Crostini can be stored at room temperature in a tightly sealed container for up to 2 days.
Apr 11, 2011 4:34 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment